Sunday, November 20, 2011

Globalization and the iPod

Coming to Ecuador without my laptop has been a very good decision. It's an expensive piece of equipment, it's bulky, and I really wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it around with the chance it could be stolen or broken. But to keep myself in the technological loop, I brought my iPod touch. It's versatile; I have all the apps I need to do homework, and to not do homework. It's compact so I can hide it well. Videos and games to keep me entertained at my host house. And when I'm in a wifi zone, I can keep in contact with those at home, and publish my blogs that I wrote at my house. But there is one thing I don't understand: the Internet is universal, why can't I get on Netflix?!

A theory of globalization is that time and space are shrinking because of the connections that exist like the Internet. So coming here, seeing Netflix commercials and expecting to see the last two episodes of Twin Peaks brought me hope. No dice. Then, I was hopeful to watch Supernatural on the CW app. That doesn't work in this country either. Pandora radio? Not a single note. Hulu? Nada.

So why does this happen? Why can't I access such things here? One day in class, we asked our teacher José if he had this problem. He said that his Netflix worked just fine. So my American Netflix account that I pay for doesn´t work in other country because...? How is it fair that I pay to watch movies whenever I want, but I have to be in my own sector of the U.S.?

No comments:

Post a Comment