Thursday, November 3, 2011

Playa A Go Go

So I found out two days ago that when we were going to la playa, we were literally going to La Playa, Ecuador. Let me tell you what, my family wins. They own their own little beach house that is practically beach front. It´s been lots of fun. I´m bonding with my ¨mom´s¨friend, Marta. We´ve been tanning and swimming in the ocean. No one in my family speaks any English, except for the kids, but they know I need to practice my Spanish, so they won´t talk to me in anything but Spanish. I can understand well enough, but I have trouble speaking. I´ve been studying my dictionary and reading Ecuadorian Cosmo, which is still as raunchy as the American version. I am sad though that I missed Day of the Dead. It was really one of the things I was really excited for. It has been something I have always wanted to experience. Ohhhh well. I will have to come back again for it. And I did get a Wawa, a baby-shaped bread that is eaten during the Día de los Difuntos festivals, which was delicious.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, what is a WaWa? Tim says it's a bus or a baby, but I think it must be something else...the beach looks lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lupe,
    I've tried 2 times unsuccessfully to post a comment. I hope that I do it right this time. This will be my last post in English, BTW. I hope you're taking lots of pictures of your fabulous adventure! I'd love for you to share a power point with one of my classes.
    Also, sorry to not have taught you "libras / libres = pounds" It would've saved time, but you would not have experienced such a funny aneccdote either! PLEASE be safe.
    Sra. Thagard

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best sister ever (aka Katay)November 10, 2011 at 5:20 AM

    Glad you're having fun! I can't wait to hear more of your adventures! Be prepared to talk the second you get home. A lot. You're missing fun things here (such as Kraynaks- it was creepier this year than any other), but I'm sure your fun things top what you're missing here tenfold. Can't wait to see you!

    P.S.- I can't wait to read Senora's comments when she starts writing them in Spanish- I want to see how much I actually remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Señora! I would be more than happy to make a Power Point for your class. It wasn´t your fault. The way she said it made it sound like two seperate words instead of one. I was very confused, but the tienda lady sure thought it was funny. I am being overly safe. Don´t worry. I´ll be home December 9th, and the 10th is claimed by our dear Maria, so any time after that works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mom. A wawa is a baby, so they make babies of bread. Why they make them, I don´t know. I know in Mexico, there are candy sugar skulls and Pan de Muerto, that looks like skulls, so I don´t know why they have Wawas here. One of our groups is doing a presentation on Dia de Los Difuntos, so maybe it will be clarified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kati, I am more than prepared to talk. I miss your face and this whole not hearing familiar voices thing is driving me nuts. It will be nice to see my Harry-bear as well. I´m sad I´m missing the scary decorations and the Christmas music amougst other shinanagins we would be getting into if I were there. Okay, love you bye bye!

    ReplyDelete