Sunday, October 30, 2011

There´s No Place Like Home

For the first time ever, I miss Sebring, Ohio. I miss the security, and being able to walk around town at all hours of the night. I miss how clean its air is, and just in general, its cleanliness (compared to here). I miss it's quietness as well. But mostly, I miss living in a village. I'm not a city person.

Up until Saturday night, I didn't miss my shady village surrounded by corn. I was having a great time traveling through Ecuadorian wilderness. But then we came to Cuenca, one of Ecuador's biggest cities. It was definitely a change compared to the first two weeks. We weren't living the nomadic life anymore, or living together in our hotels or shanty little cabins. We were dispersed throughout the city and kind of living an almost normal life. A monotonous normal life. So to break the monotony, on weekends, we have been going out to dinner and a club.

On Saturday, we went to some clubs and had dinner. We stayed out the longest we ever have been in Ecuador. After some fun at a diskoteca it was time to head home. Everything happened so fast that a friend and I ended up alone at the park trying for cabs. After 10 minutes of trying, we split up to head home. I tried for a taxi for 30 more minutes. I was ignored by the empty ones or the others were full. Not many people were out, so I wasn't greatly worried so I started to walk. Well soon after, a taxi load of young muchisimos started to bother me, and I thought that they were going to get out of the car. Luckily for me, there was a nice Ecuadorian family across the street from me, so I ran to them and asked them to help me. They were nice enough to walk me home, which I was locked out of somehow (just to make the night even better) but who knows what would have happened if they weren't there. It was probably one of the scariest moments of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That IS scary! and especially because you're somewhere foreign. Good thing for that family being there. Also, I can't wait to hear more about that diskoteca:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...not good...a lesson learned though, don't wait, even if you are having fun.. go home early and be safe ....don't be by yourself...there are too many crazies out there...there are some good things about this town, and moments like that make me appreciate the smallness I don't like the city either, it's ok for a day, but that's about it....

    ReplyDelete